Primary Source – Map

September 3rd, 2009
Watercolor drawing. Map of Raleigh's Virginia by John White (created 1585-1586) The British Museum

This primary source is a drawing of the Atlantic Coast of England’s early Virginia colony. It shows different rivers that could be important to exploration and perhaps future trade. It also labels different areas with different Native American names and even shows canoes with Native Americans in them. This shows the large population of Native Americans around the area at the time. It also has different coats of arms on it, one of which is that of Sir Walter Raleigh.

The map was created in 1585 or 1586, during which some of the first colonization efforts were taking place in Roanoke. The artist was Governor John White, the governor of the colony and the man who would later return to Roanoke and discover that the colony had disappeared. He painted this map because he had been appointed as the illustrator of the New World on the colonization attempt of 1585.  He drew the map as he explored up and down the coast.

I will use this source for my paper because it shows the different locations of the Indian populations at the time, and their different names. It also shows the different areas that the settlers at the time knew existed. Some of the problems that I foresee in using this source is that it is not completely geographically accurate and some of the names are hard to read. Also, I can’t look at the map itself because it is in Britain.

One Response to “Primary Source – Map”

1. Reference Services on September 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Your website is terrific!

Here is the url from the Archives of the Sandusky Library, if you would like to take a look:

http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com